Harm Reduction Program - Outreach Worker: 1 FTE
One of a network of over 75 provincial community health centres, the NorWest Community Health Centres is a community based, non-profit organization funded by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and the North West Local Health Integration Network, emphasizing access to primary health care and prevention programs and services.
We are currently seeking a 1 FTE Outreach Worker who, as a valuable member of the Community Health Centre team, will provide services within the Peer Support Worker scope of practice at the Longlac site. There is a strong emphasis on harm reduction, disease prevention, health promotion and education and community partnerships.
- Preference will be given to individuals with lived experience, or working with vulnerable populations.
- Proven experience with overdose prevention and response, and training in/experience with Naloxone administration.
- Physical ability to provide support in an overdose situation.
- Experience and knowledge of drug use, alcohol use, risky behaviours and harm reduction supplies.
- Volunteer or work experience within a harm reduction framework.
- Experience utilizing harm reduction principles and strategies.
- Experience providing peer-to-peer support.
- Demonstrated ability to de-escalate conflict.
- Confidence in asserting oneself and maintaining strong boundaries.
- Knowledge of community services and resources; strong advocacy and system navigation skills.
- Strong communication skills; Experience providing education and abillty to actively and accurately listen.
- Demonstrated display of sensitivity to others.
- Open, non-judgmental and willing to learn.
- Basic computer skills, including email.
- Lived experience as (or working with people who reflect) our priority client population: racialized people, indigenous people, people who engage in sex work, prisoners/ex-prisoners, people with mental health issues, and people who have experienced trauma, people who have experienced homelessness or street involvement would be an asset.
- Respects and values the diversity of communities and individuals.
- A current driver's license and access to a vehicle.
How to Apply - Please Specify Job Title in Email Subject Line
The deadline for applicants is Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 4:30 p.m.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and three work reference contacts to:
NWCHC’s is an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, accommodations due to a disability are available throughout the selection process. We would like to thank all those that apply but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Feel Better, Live Longer, Be Happier