Midwife - 1FTE
One of a network of over 75 provincial community health centres, the NorWest Community Health Centres is a community based, non-profit organization funded by Ontario Health, emphasizing access to primary health care and prevention programs and services.
We are currently seeking a 1 FTE Midwife, who as a valuable member of the Community Health Centre team will provide services within their scope of practice at the Thunder Bay, Longlac and Armstrong locations. There is a strong emphasis on disease prevention, health promotion and education and community partnerships.
This is a new salaried position.
The position has the Health Care of Ontario Pension Plan and an excellent group health benefit package.
There is no on call required.
- A General Registrant in good standing with the College of Midwives of Ontario and QAP up to date.
- Member of the Association of Ontario Midwives, current HIROC liability insurance certificate
or eligible to obtain HIROC liability insurance.
- Up to date NRP, FHS, CPR, and Emergency skills certification.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working as a midwife.
- Demonstrated experience not only in the provision of low-risk, but also complex prenatal,
intra-partum and post-partum care for pregnant clients and their babies, including
experience with an expanded midwifery scope of practice such as performing and
evaluating NST’s, managing clients with GDM, managing epidurals, oxytocin, augmentation
and induction of labour.
- Demonstrated practice of providing compassionate, respectful, non-judgmental and
culturally sensitive care in an informed choice model.
- Highly motivated to work with high needs populations and open to working in a new model
of care as an employee of NWCHC’s.
- Awareness and sensitivity to socio-economic and cultural issues.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to health issues particular within populations who face barriers
to accessing care (homeless, under housed, street affected, living with mental health illness,
active or past drug use, complex health histories, 2SLGBTQI+, newcomers, non-insured).
- Creative thinker with the ability to generate new ideas and challenge assumptions.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Program development experiences an asset.
- Proficiency in the use of computer technology/software (Microsoft Office, Outlook etc.)
- Clinical experience with 2SLGBTQI+ population an asset.
- Experience with contraceptive care (prescribing OCPs, inserting IUDs) an asset.
- Experience with fertility treatment (IUI or home-like insemination) with 2SLGBTQI+
clients an asset.
- Willing to obtain training and be involved in providing comprehensive birth control and
reproductive options upon approval for inclusion within the “Midwifery Scope of Practice.”
- Experience using an Electronic Medical Record system (EMR) an asset.
- Successful candidate will be required to apply for, obtain, and maintain privileges at
- Experience with utilizing BORN System is an asset.
- A current driver's license and access to a vehicle to travel to designated outreach clinics.
- There may be an opportunity for deliveries (there will be no on call).
How to Apply - Please Specify Job Title in Email Subject Line
The deadline for applicants is Friday, April 16, 2021.
This position will remain open until filled.
Please submit your cover letter, resume and three work reference contacts to:
Debbie Inman, Manager of Human Resources, CHRL
NorWest Community Health Centres
525 Simpson Street
Thunder Bay, Ontario P7C 3J6
FAX: 622-7637 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
NWCHC’s is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We are an equal opportunity employer. Upon request, accommodations due to a disability are available throughout the selection process.
Feel Better, Live Longer, Be Happier